IPL has gained popularity over the years among India’s people and cricket lovers from other countries in the world. People from all over India enjoy watching IPL seeing their favourite teams and players, play and cheering them in their matches. People willingly leave their work just to watch their favourite match, not only between two
IPL has gained popularity over the years among India’s people and cricket lovers from other countries in the world. People from all over India enjoy watching IPL seeing their favourite teams and players, play and cheering them in their matches. People willingly leave their work just to watch their favourite match, not only between two captains or two teams but between two states. Ten teams in total participate in the IPL season each year.
Along with players from India, several players come from other countries to join and play at IPL in India every year. These players are known as overseas players that come from other countries. One can find these types of players in almost every team from IPL as some of them are very important for the IPL and the team`s strength. Some of the overseas players are mentioned below.
Players in IPL teams from other countries
Right from the beginning of IPL in the year 2008, one of the most crucial aspects of IPL has been including players from other countries. Some of these players from the base of their teams support them in every aspect. For example, AB de Villiers, with the highest score of 158 and Chris Gayle with a high score of 175, has been a very important part of the team RCB or Royal Challengers Bangalore in the past few years.
The involvement of overseas players has been crucial for the development of IPL in the past years as they have played very important parts in their respective teams. However, the important question is how many overseas players are allowed in IPL for each team participating. BCCI has applied a limit to the number of foreign players allowed to play in the IPL or take part in auctions. The limit is four overseas players for each IPL team. This means that a team can only include a maximum of four foreign players in their team.
The number of players allowed in each IPL team is decided by the council that governs the IPL each year. This rule has been decided since the beginning of IPL in 2008.
Forming team and squad players
Board of Control for Cricket or BCCI has decided some important numbers for the involvement of players in a team and the number of foreign players in the team. The decision states that there can only be 25 players in a team from which eight can be from other countries or so-called overseas players. Due to the few overseas players allowed in a team, captains or teams generally like going for the best available players they can get.
However, for a complete team of eleven players, there is an allowance of only four players from other countries, which will be the same for the IPL 2022. Therefore, the rest seven players must be included in Indian players only.
Allowance for teams with fewer foreign players
Another question that arrives in people’s and team members’ minds is that teams can play even with the number of foreign players being less than four. Again, the answer is yes; teams can even participate with some overseas players being lower than even four. This was proven to us by Rajasthan Royals when they only took in three foreign players in 2010 against the team Kings XI Punjab.
This was done against RR in the same year when Mumbai Indians only took two foreign plays for fielding. This, however, was taken a step further by Kolkata knight Riders when they used only two players for fielding against Chennai Super Kings from other countries. The above-given examples easily prove that teams can even participate and play with players from other countries being less than four.
Even though IPL has never made an exception in this field, in 2011, during T-20, Mumbai Indians were allowed a total of five foreign players to play in their team. This was made due to the injuries that affected other players from entering the tournament in the year. As a result, the team was led by Rohit Sharma that year. However, probably co-owners of these teams want some changes to be made to this rule according to their needs.
According to some rumours, there can even be ten teams in the IPL season of the year 2022, along with which the number of foreign players can also be loosened. Increasing the number of overseas players to five can be possible due to the number of requests made.
Who Are IPL 2022 Overseas Players?
The IPL is the most famous and famous league in the world. The popularity can be seen from the fact that this tournament has many overseas players. Many overseas players come to India to participate in this game because of the money they will earn by playing here.
Many players have earned a lot of money by playing for teams in this tournament, but their earnings may not be as much as David Warner and Chris Gayle. The names of these two cricketers are well known throughout the cricketing world but you have other popular ones playing in the league:
- Jos Buttler. Okay, if you look at the overseas player’s list of IPL, you will see that many people are playing in this tournament. One of the names on this list is Jos Buttler. Buttler is a British cricketer who plays for England and Lancashire. He also plays for Royal Challengers Bangalore in the IPL as an overseas player. He has been playing cricket since childhood and has played a major role in England’s Cricket World Cup victory in 2011. He became famous after his last ball six on debut against Pakistan in the 2012 Asia Cup final match, where he helped England win the game by three wickets and became a household name overnight.
- Shane Watson. The only Australian cricketer in IPL, Shane Watson, is also a veteran player. He played his first international match against New Zealand in 2005 and has captained the Australian cricket team in Tests, One Day Internationals, and Twenty20 Internationals. In season 5, he scored astonishing 200 runs against Chennai Super Kings, which earned him the highest wicket-taker Award. He is an all-rounder who can strike any ball off the ground at the will of his thoughts.
- Danny Waugh. The oldest cricket player on the list is Dany Waugh captaining Australia for a long period. He played 76 test matches for Australia with the best score of 333 runs. He was a hard hitter of the cricket ball who earned fame when he scored a six in his first innings from a fast bowler Mervyn Dillon. He has also played for various teams, including New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory, Lancashire, and Western Australia.
- Luke Wright. This famous cricketer was a part of the 2008 squad of the Australian cricket team that won the Ashes for the second time in a row. In season 3, he scored a stunning five-wicket haul against Chennai Super Kings, which earned him fame in the Delhi and Mumbai region. He also has played some matches against England in 2009 and 2011 as an overseas player. This cricketer is nowadays playing for Rajasthan Royals as an overseas player. He is a hard hitter of the cricket ball and has a huge fan following in India.
- David Warner. Warner is an Australian cricketer who plays for Sunrisers Hyderabad. He is a left-handed opening batsman and goes behind the wickets to perform the bowling task. He played 89 matches for Australia, where he scored 4251 runs at an average of 39.37 with 12 hundred and 30 fifties to his credit. He has played every bit of cricket to prove that he is one of the best players in this tournament. In the IPL season 6, he scored a superb century against Bangalore, which earned him the name of a superstar.
These players are also expected to be in the top 5 overseas players in IPL 2022.